Solar Ovens

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Strawberry shortcake with Thrive products

You may have noticed the "Thrive" link on the right.  Sariah, who's link that is, was kind enough to let me pick a recipe I like, & then send me Thrive food storage ingredients to try making it.  I chose upside-down Strawberry Shortcake.  I love strawberries, & it had a variety of ingredients, so I thought it would be fun to try.

First of all, here's the recipe:

16 oz frozen, sweetened strawberries, thawed
1 pkg (3 oz) strawberry jello
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 c flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk

Combine strawberries & jello & set aside.  In a mixing bowl cream shortening & sugar.  Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each.  Beat in vanilla.  Combine flour, baking powder & salt.  Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.  Pour into greased pan.  Spoon strawberry mixture evenly over batter.  Bake until toothpick come out clean, at 350, approx 45-50 min.

In this test I used Thrive for the strawberries, shortening , eggs, baking powder, & milk.
I was impressed how quickly the strawberries rehydrated in water.  Fast!  I ate one plain, & it tasted as good as a frozen one would have.  It did take extra time to separately mix the shortening, eggs & milk, but that's just part of cooking with food storage.  One plus of the egg substitute, it you can halve recipes & halve the eggs!  Awesome!  I think I drained the strawberries a bit too much (forgetting I would have been using frozen & there would have been juice).  I think that accounts for my having less strawberry mixture on top than normal.  But the important question:  how did it taste?!  Awesome!  I probably wouldn't have known it was made differently if I'd just been served it.  I'm especially excited about the shortening substitute, as a few of my favorite recipes have that.  I was quite happy with the experiment!  And Sariah is so knowledgeable & helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment